Sunday, December 22, 2013

Singapore: An Excursion Through South East Asia

We touched down in Singapore in the early afternoon and quickly found the luggage storage department in the airport so we could explore the city with just our day packs.

Singapore airport, by the way, is currently rated the best airport in the world. English is the primary language, everyone is really friendly, and it is clean...sparkling clean. Something I should have paid more attention to. 


As we hit the streets and began our hunt for a local lunch spot, I sparked up a cigarette which, for the record, is very common through out south east Asia. Five minutes of walking and my smoke was down to the butt so out of habit, not taking into consideration our new surroundings, I flicked it on to the ground. Just as soon as the cigarette butt landed I felt a tapping on my shoulder. I quickly turned around and found myself face to face with Singapore law enforcement. The officer immediately and sternly asked for my identification. Realizing that I may have just broken some law I was unaware of I decided it was in my best interest to play as dumb as possible. I pulled out my wallet and handed the officer my Atlanta, Georgia drivers licence. She snatched the ID from my hand, motioned us to follow her, and proceeded into the building we were on the corner of. As we approached the building my eyes glanced up and noticed bold golden letters that said this building was the supreme court of Singapore. I had just committed a crime outside of the highest court in the country(epic facepalm). I was in trouble. We were led inside the building behind the officer who walked through security and into the back office to parlay with her supervisor. Ten nerve racking minutes later she returns to where she left us in the supreme court lobby. She questioned us about the length of our stay in the country and the reason for our visit. We explained we were only there on an extended layover and persuaded the officer to let me off with a warning. A fierce tongue lashing and slap on the wrist was the only punishment I had received. It was another close call and reminder to be aware of the laws of the future countries we'd pass through.

Besides the initial scare, we relished the rest of our time in Singapore. We had an awesome lunch and continued exploring the city.

"On this historic site Dir Thomas Stanford Raffley first landed in Singapore on 28th January 1819 and with genius and perception changed the destiny of Singapore from an obscure fishing village to a great seaport and modern metropolis"





The city was preparing for an upcoming Formula One race so we got to walk across the race course and snap some photos.







Eight hours flew by and we returned to the nicest airport in the world prepared to depart for our next destination. Thailand.


No comments:

Post a Comment